Water and health
In this Unit you will learn:
- why water is the best drink for the children and is necessary for good physical health.
- how water helps with the reduction of obesity.
- how water helps to reduce dental cavities.
Introduction to the topic:
Obesity levels are on the rise in Europe. These rising levels are closely connected with diet, as well as sugary drinks which can also lead to dental cavities.
- More than 20 percent of children and young people in the EU are either overweight or obese. These rates have increased significantly over the past decades.
- The consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks is often associated with obesity in children. Almost 40 percent of the sugar consumed by young children, comes from drinking sugar-sweetened drinks.
- Promotion and provision of drinking water in schools has shown to prevent obesity.
- In Europe, 20 to 90 percent of 6-year-old children have dental fillings and at the age of 12, an average of 0.5–3.5 permanent teeth are affected by cavities, as a result of dental decay.